We're alive and well!

Hi from Tamara! The JET house is doing splendidly, but we have been crazy busy. Here's a quick recap:

Last week was our orientation week, which consisted of lectures, ice breakers, services, placement tests, tours, and the occasional nap. It was a whirlwind week, but overall it was an amazing way to get acclimated to Israel and to HUC. We also had the opportunity to meet as a cantorial class for the first time and talk specifically about some of the expectations and challenges we face in our program. I think I can speak for the three of us when I say that we are all feeling very lucky and absolutely thrilled to be starting our cantorial journey with such wonderful, supportive classmates.

The Cantorial class of 2018! Also pictured: our Cantillation teacher, Cantor Tamar Havilio, and Cantors Jeff Klepper and Benjie Ellen Schiller who honored us with their presence at our class meeting!

Summer semester classes officially began this past Sunday, which has presented us with another full schedule and an ever-increasing workload. So far, we have attended Hebrew Ulpan, Music Theory, and Cantillation class. Tomorrow, we will have our first Biblical History class. Speaking for myself, it is really wonderful to finally be studying topics that I am passionate about and that have direct relevance to my life and my pursuits. Even though the work is hard, it's worth it.

If you were a fly on the wall of the apartment today, you would have heard a whole lot of singing. The three of us were practicing Cantillation today; Liz was in her room at one end of the apartment, I was in my room at the other end of the apartment, and Jacob went out onto the balcony! It's really starting to feel cantorial around here, and I am loving every minute! 

Anyway -- I'm off to do some homework. More updates coming soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment